It’s spring in the Pacific Northwest, and that means rhubarb! Everyone knows strawberry rhubarb pie and rhubarb compote, so we thought we would try an off-the-beaten-path rhubarb recipe. Here are two versions of rhubarb-peach chutney- the savory version will work perfectly with chicken, while the sweet version will make an excellent spread on toast or a sweetener for yogurt and granola.
Rhubarb and Peach Chutney
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh rhubarb
- 2 cups peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup raisins
- In a large pan, combine the sugar, vinegar, garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Add rhubarb, peaches, onion, and raisins. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and mixture is slightly thickened.
- Cool completely. Store in refrigerator. Serve with chicken, or if making a sweet chutney, serve on toast or mix with yogurt.