Hope everyone’s been staying dry during our little fall foretaste. Looks like bright weather is back on the way for a bit, but for now, here’s a warm and tasty potato dish to fill you up.
- 2 large bell peppers, diced
- ½ large sweet onion, diced
- 2 medium jalapenos, finely diced
- 8 green onions, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely diced
- 3 ½ lbs red potatoes, cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1.5 C. extra sharp cheddar, grated
- 1 T. butter, for baking dish
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 C. heavy cream
- 2 C. veggie stock
- 1.5 tsp. salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Cilantro for garnish
Prepare 13 by 9 inch baking dish with butter and preheat oven to 400.
Bring large skillet to medium-high heat with olive oil. Sauté onions until translucent (about 5 minutes), then add bell pepper and jalapeño and sauté for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add 2/3 green onion and garlic.
Layer bottom of baking dish with potatoes, and then layer with 1/3 of sautéed veggies and sprinkle with 1/3 grated cheddar. Repeat two times, ending with veggies and cheese.
Combine salt, pepper, cream, and veggie stock and pour over potato layers.
Bake, covered in tinfoil for 1 hour, remove tinfoil for an additional 15 minutes to brown. Sprinkle remaining green onion and a hefty amount of cilantro over the top. Enjoy!