- 1 ½ cups water, plus additional 1 cup
- ½ Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup coarse corn meal
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch rainbow chard, stems removed and chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add salt and bay leaf. Bring additional 1 cup of water to a simmer in a separate pan.
- Add polenta to boiling water (1 ½ cup) in fistfuls, working cornmeal through fingers to break up any clumps. Reduce heat to medium.
- Whisk remaining water into polenta in small increments, stirring frequently until polenta is creamy.
- Fry bacon in a large pan. Transfer cooked bacon to paper towel lined plate, leaving excess bacon grease in pan. Coarsely chop bacon once cooled.
- Sauté shallots, garlic, and chard stems at medium heat in bacon grease until tender (5-7 minutes).
- Stir in chard leaves, chili flakes, and ⅓ cup water. Reduce heat to low and cook covered until leaves are wilted. Uncover and cook until most liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, finish off polenta by stirring in butter, salt & pepper, and parmesan.
- Add vinegar and chopped bacon to chard mixture, tossing until well combined.
- To serve: spoon polenta to individual dishes and top with chard.
* Gluten Free
* Vegetarian modification – remove bacon and sauté vegetables in high heat oil
* Vegan modification – remove bacon and sauté vegetables in high heat oil, substitute
parmesan for nutritional yeast
* Double recipe to serve 4-6