Summer is in full swing here in Seattle! Anyone else outside soaking in the Vitamin D we’ve missed out on most of the year? Here’s a fun way to utilize this week’s PCH box for those summer BBQ’s I hope you’re enjoying lately.
Grilled Kabob Skewers
- wooden or metal skewers
- 1-1.5 pound protein option, cut into 1 inch cubes (chicken, extra firm tofu, shrimp, steak)
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch knob fresh ginger, grated
- juice from1 a lime
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 red potatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 zucchini squash
- handful of white mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons high heat oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Turn on gas grill or fire up charcoal grill and allow internal temperature to rise while continuing with recipe. Collect skewers and soak in water if wooden.
- Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, lime juice, and spices in a medium bowl. Mix well. Toss with protein and let sit in marinade while continuing with vegetable prep.
- Chop all vegetables except mushrooms into thick cubes (1 inch).
- Place chopped potatoes in a large microwave safe bowl. Cover potatoes with water. Microwave for 4 minutes or until just tender. Drain, and return potatoes to bowl.
- Add remaining chopped vegetables to bowl and toss with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange cubed vegetables and marinated protein on skewers with variety. Line up uncooked skewers on baking sheet.
- Gas grill: Leave 2 burners on high heat, and remaining burners on medium heat. Arrange skewers on high-heat portion of grill and cook for 3 minutes. Rotate skewers, and cook for another 3 minutes. Repeat this process until each side of skewer has seared. Move seared skewers to medium heat portion of grill and cook with lid closed until appropriate internal temperature of protein is reached (varies depending on protein). Charcoal grill: Skewers may cook more quickly depending on how hot briquets are. Rotate skewers regularly and be careful not to overcook protein.
- Allow cooked skewers to rest for 3 minutes before serving.
- Double recipe to serve 8
- Gluten free, vegetarian, vegan
- Prep skewers at your leisure and store in refrigerator/freezer in ziplock bags. Travel with raw skewers to be cooked at events outside of your home, or pull out at your convenience when ready to fire up the grill.