In the world of produce, there are few things better than a fresh, cool, crispy green bean. They go well with many different foods, they have great texture, and they are incredibly easy to cook! This week, we bring you a recipe for a fresh green bean and carrot salad, with a vinaigrette dressing. This will be a great addition to a springtime BBQ or picnic, or to pack up and take to work for lunch.
Green Bean & Carrot Salad
- 2 lb green beans, ends cut off, sliced in half
- 1 bunch carrots, halved and julienned
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped chard (about two leaves)
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Set up a large bowl of ice water. Add the green beans and carrots to the boiling water. Cook until green beans are bright green but still crispy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the carrots and beans from the water with a slotted spoon and transfer to the ice water. Pour into a colander to drain.
- To make vinaigrette: whisk mustard, cumin, coriander, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in the vinegar. Slowly add the oil, whisking constantly to emulsify.
- Drizzle green beans, carrots, chard, and walnuts with dressing. Toss to coat. Salt to taste and serve.
Now, go enjoy some healthy organic food on this beautiful Washington day!