This week’s produce box includes Lacinato Kale, my favorite kale variety for it’s tenderness and mild flavor when eaten raw. I first encountered lacinato kale while enjoying a salad prepared by a friend, which consisted of lacinato kale chopped into ribbons (as our recipe also calls for), an avocado, and juice + zest of a lemon. I developed this recipe a bit further by adding roasted veggies, feta, and pumpkin seeds. I have served this meal winter through summer with much delight from family and guests who tend to ask for the recipe afterward.
Lacinato Kale Salad with Charred Cauliflower Steaks
- 1 bunch lacinato kale
- zest and juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 Tablespoons high heat cooking oil
- 1 head of cauliflower
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 oz feta cheese
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F with a baking sheet inside oven.
- De-stem and chop kale into ribbons. Transfer to serving bowl.
- Zest ½ of a lemon and squeeze juice onto kale, mixing throughly with hands. Kale will become tender as it rests during further recipe prep.
- Remove stem from cauliflower. With cauliflower face down, carefully chop through entire head to create 1/2 inch “steaks”.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into bite size cubes. In a medium bowl, mix chopped potatoes with 3T oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to baking dish.
- Remove hot baking sheet from oven and transfer cauliflower steaks to line sheet without overlap. Use a pastry brush to liberally coat one side of steaks with remaining oil. Season with salt & pepper.
- Cook potatoes and cauliflower for 12-15min, checking for tenderness with fork test. Potatoes should be just tender, not too soft. Allow cauliflower to cook longer if needed to become browned, or slightly charred on top.
- Transfer potatoes to kale dish and toss, allowing kale to wilt slightly with heat. Add pumpkin seeds, feta cheese, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and add more lemon juice as needed if preferred. Toss salad.
- Serve kale salad with cauliflower steaks on the side.
- Serves 2-3. Double recipe to serve 4-6
- Serve as an entree by topping salad with protein of choice. My favorite is browned chicken sausage (herb seasoning).
- Replace olive oil for an avocado to dress salad.